Tomato and Coconut Soup
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup Faux Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
For the Faux Parmesan Cheese (makes 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Make the Faux Parmesan Cheese
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until the mixture has the consistency of fine crumbs and resembles freshly grated parmesan cheese, about 10 times. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Make the soup
- Set a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat to shimmering, then add the onion, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the vegetables are aromatic and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and coconut milk, season with a pinch of salt and a twist of pepper, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a blender or food processor, add the faux parmesan, and process until smooth. Serve topped with cilantro.