For fans of Cuban mojo and al pastor.
Sizzled Pork & Pineapple
- Pork shoulder
- Fresh chile
- Corn tortillas
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Slice 1½ pounds boneless pork shoulder into ½-inch-thick steaks against the grain. Pat dry, drizzle with olive oil, and season with 1½ teaspoons salt and lots of pepper. Peel 1 pineapple, then cut into 1-inch-thick spears. Transfer to a sheet pan. Zest 1 orange onto a cutting board, then halve the orange and add to the sheet pan. Coat the pineapple and orange halves with olive oil and S&P.
- On the cutting board with the zest, zest 2 limes. Coarsely chop 4 garlic cloves and 1 fresh chile (jalapeño, serrano). Bring the zest, garlic, and chile together, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt, then chop until a coarse, juicy paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl or shallow dish, then add the juice from the limes (about ¼ cup) and ¼ cup olive oil. Go to your grill with your pork, fruit, sauce, and 8 to 12 corn tortillas.
- Grease the grill grates with olive oil. Add the pork, pineapple, and orange over direct heat. Grill the pork until cooked through and charred in spots, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Grill the pineapple and orange until charred, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Move ingredients around as needed to char and avoid flare-ups. As things finish, add them to the sauce and toss to coat. (Everything can sit in this sauce for up to an hour.)
- Grill the tortillas until lightly charred, less than a minute. Keep warm in a kitchen towel. Cut the pork and pineapple into bite-size pieces, then return to the sauce. Squeeze the orange halves into the sauce. Chunk 1 avocado and season with S&P. Eat the pork, pineapple, and avocado swaddled in a warm tortilla. Repeat.
- Other friends for pork shoulder steaks• Grilled scallions + grilled shishito peppers + lime + sesame oil• Grilled tomatillos + red onions + lime• Pickled peppers + brine + garlic• Smoked paprika + grilled mini peppers• Mustard + horseradish + honey