This spicy, smoky, earthy Mexican-inspired pesto comes from Milk Street Facebook Community member Carol McClendon of Houston. Toss it with a pound of cooked pasta, along with a little reserved pasta cooking water to help the pesto coat the noodles, but it’s also delicious in a quesadilla. Or try it as a finishing touch on roasted winter squash or spooned onto grilled chicken or pork chops.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto with Cilantro and Chipotle
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 medium garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, combine the pumpkin seeds, cilantro, cotija, chipotle chili, lime zest and juice, garlic and . teaspoon pepper. Pulse until roughly chopped, 5 to 10 pulses, scraping the bowl as needed. Add the oil and pulse until incorporated, 5 to 10 pulses. Transfer to a small bowl, then taste and season with salt and pepper.