While it’s not often I serve a meal without dark leafy greens, this recipe is the perfect example of how sometimes leaving the greens out better highlights seasonal fresh produce.
Golden Beet And Blackberry Salad
- 1 pound small golden beets of similar size
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (save flowers if available)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- Place beets in baking dish, fill with 1/4-inch water and cover with foil. Roast 45 minutes or until soft throughout (time will vary depending on size of beets). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, peel or use thumbs to rub away skins, and cut beets into wedges. Place in a bowl and add chives.
- In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mint and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour three-quarters of dressing over beets and toss to coat. Place berries in separate bowl, add remaining dressing and toss to coat. Transfer beets to serving dish, arrange berries and chive flowers on top and serve.