Love Mexican street corn? Listener Megan Kregel of Rocky Hill submitted a recipe that made hosts Chef Plum and Marysol Castro’s mouths water. You can serve this corn salad cold, or put it in the oven for 8-12 minutes for a tangy side dish loaded with warm, cheesy goodness.
Elote Corn Salad
- 4-5 ears fresh corn on the cob
- 1/2 tbls vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2 small avocados (optional)
- 2 tbls minced garlic
- 1 package cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 heaping tbls mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- juice of one lime
- 1 pinch salt
- lime slices (for garnish)
- edible glitter (optional. . .unless you're Megan!)
- Cut corn off cobs and put in a medium-large sized skillet. I prefer cast iron. Sauté corn with salt and veggie oil until golden brown.
- You can then transfer the corn to a large bowl and mix all the additional ingredients in and then chill to serve cold or:. . .Transfer the corn to a mixing bowl, add in all the additional ingredients, mix, put it back in the skillet & top with additional chili powder and cheese, and put it in the oven at 375 for 8-12 minutes to serve it warm.
- Garnish either version with the avocado and additional cheese, and serve with a big spoon. You can add cilantro too if you’d like, I am just not a fan. : )