On Seasoned, we’re big believers that pumpkin is an underappreciated squash. As a biscuit lover with Southern roots, host Chef Plum incorporates pumpkin into his simple biscuit recipe for fall. Add local honey to the melted butter before brushing over the top of the biscuits, if you like.
Chef Plum's Pumpkin Biscuits
- Baking sheet
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450˚F degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients until combined.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup, heat heavy cream in the microwave for 60-90 seconds until the cream reaches 100˚F. Add the cream to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add the pumpkin and combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spray the inside of a measuring cup with cooking spray and scoop out 1/3 cup of biscuit dough on to the baking sheet to make about 10 biscuits. You could also use a large spoon to place the dough on the sheet.
- Bake at 450˚F degrees for 10-12 minutes on upper middle rack of oven, rotating baking sheet half way through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and brush melted butter on the tops of the biscuits.
- Let the biscuits rest for 5 minutes before eating.
- Variation: For added sweetness, add a tablespoon of warm local honey to the melted butter before brushing over the biscuits.