Canned or refrigerated prepared beets make quick work of this robust salad. The sweet-and-sour dressing gets texture and richness from pumpkin seeds mixed with honey and vinegar. To keep the salad tasting bright and fresh, be generous with the honey and vinegar. Letting the shallots rest for a few minutes after dressing mellows their bite.
Beet and Pumpkin Seed Salad
- 1 pound cooked, peeled beets (canned or refrigerated), sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium shallot, sliced into thin rings
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups baby arugula OR lightly packed watercress
- Arrange the beets on a serving plate; scatter the shallot over them, then season with salt and pepper. In a small saucepan, heat the oil and pumpkin seeds, stirring, until sizzling. Reduce to low and whisk in the vinegar and honey, tasting and adding more of either ingredient until you get a strongly sweet-and-sour dressing. Pour over the beets and shallots, then let stand about 15 minutes. Top with the greens and serve.